Thursday 30 October 2008

The Art of Persuasion



I will be giving a persuasive speech in a few weeks, the topic is my choice. I have pondered ideas for a while but wanted to stay away from the whole 'I'm hear today to persuade you to....
  • Quit smoking
  • Always practice safe sex
  • Vote for McCain/Obama
  • Recycle'
I did consider discussing the possibility of lowering the legal drinking age in America to 18. Although not a seasoned drinker myself, I think that prohibiting alcohol until the age of 21 is quite ridiculous, it adds emphasis and mystery to the whole drinking culture, which many are already keen to explore. I believe the law fosters immature behavior at times, reducing the required age may solve some of these problems. This may appear hypocritical coming from an English student whose home nation is renowned for its production of young binge drinkers!! :S

I am going to aim to persuade my class to read 'The Last Lecture' due to my feeling of its importance to all students and others alike. I wanted to challenge myself, getting 30 college students to get excited about reading a book will certainly be difficult!

No comments:

Post a Comment