Monday 29 September 2008

The Winner Takes it All....


I played in one of the most frustrating 'soccer' games of my life on Sunday. A conference game which ended at 1-1 after normal time. A good result for us against strong competition..... but that wasn't the end of it.

The normal 'league' games in our conference go to over time if the result is a tie, we ended up losing 2-1, with just 40 seconds remaining in the first half of extra time! Such a shame for us, the game got me thinking about the American way of life. It feels as though America likes to see clear-cut winners and losers. Nobody wants to see two teams tie.

Being a loser didn't feel great. I'm sure the drama of over time thrilled the crowd, but it left me feeling bitter and disheartened. I guess this approach helps to breed true competitors, a survival of the fittest method, the desire to succeed becomes even greater.

No comments:

Post a Comment