Friday 26 September 2008

Say what!!?


I am taking a Rhetoric course this semester which covers public speaking for various purposes, I gave my first speech yesterday in class, an informative piece on English culture. I touched briefly on some statistics then discussed food, music, art, sports and fashion.

The opening to my speech discussed the fact that since I have been in America I have heard a number of ridiculous statements and been asked some equally strange questions with regards to my country of origin. Here are some examples:

You're from England? That's quite a big city isn't it?
Do you know the Queen?
Do they have black people in England?
Where in London are you from?
Did you know English before you came over to America?

:)

To some of these questions, all I could do was smile really!

No comments:

Post a Comment